Hi everyone, Jess here to check in with some of the goings on at Springdell, including the presentation of the final Winter CSA pickup of the season! As you may recall, Farmer Jamie added a bonus pickup to the Winter CSA, which will allow those enrolled in the Winter and Spring CSA to seamlessly bridge their CSAs without a break. Thank you for all that you and your team are doing to keep us well fed, Farmer Jamie!
The Springdell Farmstand has officially “Opened” for the season, which means the expansion of farmstand hours. Jordan Brother’s seafood will now be at the farm on Wednesdays and Saturdays (remember to pre-order and you can use Venmo or pay over the phone before pickup). Gerry from Johnny Putt Farm will also be there with lettuces and micro greens (Venmo or contactless cash available). I for one am looking forward to the expanded hours.
The Springdell summer team have also returned from Jamaica! We wish Jonathan, Clancie and Samuel a warm and hearty welcome back to the states. They are currently scarce due to the mandatory travel quarantine, but knowing they are here is some great news.
Let’s take a look at the goodies some of you may have received this week -(remember to click on any of the items on the list for more details on preparation, storage, and a list of tested recipes!)
- Tully Farms Dairy Products (I get low-fat milk and heavy cream)
- Johnny Putt Farm Carrots and Carrot Tops (See below for ideas)
- Golden Beets (I really want to try fellow CSA’er Dawn D’s suggestion for Beet Barley Risotto this week, so hopefully more on that later)
- Radishes (Tops trimmed and in a bowl of water in the fridge awaiting use)
- Lettuce (This particular type of lettuce stores better when removed from it’s core, washed and damp dried before storage. Save that core and read on!)
- Parsley (Snip a fresh cut on the ends, and pop in a glass of water until ready for use.)
- Eggs (2 dozen protein bombs, there were some lovely speckled ones in the carton!)
That’s about it on this end. I hope that you enjoyed this post. As always, please drop me a line if you have any questions, comments, suggestions. Do you have a veggie that’s stumping you? Want to learn more about how to make the CSA lifestyle work for you? Reach out any time, I’m here to help! Meanwhile, have a safe and healthy week, and I’ll see you back here for next week’s addition of the Springdell Show and Tell!