Hi everyone, Jess here to present Farmer Jamie’s delicious recipe for Sweet Zucchini Crumble!
To me, it tastes a lot like peach cobbler, sweet and buttery (let’s be honest, it’s a whole lotta butter, flour and sugar) but if it can make zucchini taste like peach cobbler, then so be it!
I used small golden zucchini when cooking this, and think if working with those you might opt to try cubes as opposed to slices, I can’t describe why, except that I envision it would have a better mouthfeel than the slices.
I think you can cut down on the sugar without missing it much, give it a try and see what you think!
- -4.5 cups Four Star Farms Flour
- -3 cups sugar, divided
- -1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- -1.5 cups Amish Roll Butter, softened
- -7 cups (about zucchini or summer), sliced thin
- -2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemons – about 3 lemons (we have some in the stand…use your discount and grab ’em)
- -1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- -1/4 tsp. Grated Nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Stir the flour, 2 cups of sugar and salt in a large bowl until blended. Add the butter and cut it into the flour until the mixture looks like oatmeal.
- Pour half of the mixture into a 9×13 deep bake pan. Using a spatula, press the mixture evenly into the pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and set aside.
- Combine the zucchini and lemon juice in a large pot over high heat and cook the squash until tender. It will take about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Simmer for 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup of flour mixture and continue to cook. Stir constantly until the mixture has thickened. Remove from the pot and let cook for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the squash mixture over the baked crust and sprinkle the remaining flour mixture on top. Place in oven and bake until light brown and bubbling, for about 40 minutes.