Hi everyone, Jess here with the 7th pickup of the Springdell CSA summer season! The rainbow colors of summer are here, and they are glorious!
- Butter and Sugar Corn– Hooray, the corn is here!
- Slicing Cucumbers– Remember, these enjoy the fridge until ready for use.
- Salad Cucumbers– Ditto on the fridge with these… If you have a backlog, it’s a great time to pickle some up!
- Bell Peppers– Great for stuffing, slicing, grilling… the list goes on! I have been slicing and leaving on the table and they disappear throughout the day.
- Blueberries– If you have zucchini left, they’d love to be paired with your blueberries. Try this recipe (and if you don’t want to commit to a cake, these make great cupcakes too!)
- Sugar Beets– I roasted last week’s, and will pickle this weeks as I’m in a pickling state of mind lately.
- Patty Pan Squash – they are so tender at this size! Sliced and grilled, they are so pretty on the plate!
- Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes– Nature’s candy! These like the countertop. Munch a few as you walk by!
- Green Beans and Butter Beans– A quick blanch and a pat of amish roll butter makes for a great summer snack.
- Kohlrabi– a little and sweet one, a quick and simple idea is to peel, slice thin and sprinkle with a little salt. Great as-is or in salads!
- Carrots– cut off the tops (reserve for Carrot Top Tea or Pesto) and store the carrots upside down in a glass of water with just enough water to submerge the exposed cut parts until ready for use. (I’m experimenting with this preservation method, seems to keep them the crispest so far.)
- Lettuce– Wonderful for lettuce wraps or lunchtime salads. Remember to separate them from the core when you get home, give a quick rinse and bag them damp dry for best preservation.
Small Shares this week include Butter and Sugar Corn, Slicing Cukes, Salad Cukes, Zephyr Squash, Bell Peppers, Green Beans and Wax Beans, Field Tomatoes, Carrots, Lettuce. Super Shares include Butter and Sugar Corn, Cabbage, Slicing and Salad Cukes, Bell Peppers, Zephyr Squash, Golden Zucchini, Sugar Beets, Blueberries, Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes, Lettuce, Carrots, Green Beans and Butter Beans. Single Shares include Butter and Sugar Corn, Summer Cabbage, Golden Zucchini, Slicing Cukes, Green Beans and Wax Beans, Lettuce, and Carrots. *Quantities vary by share, with the larger shares receiving the larger quantities accordingly. Please note that items may vary slightly throughout the week depending on daily yield, but share value will remain consistent.
- Peaches– I apologize, one was missing from the photo because I couldn’t wait. They are so juicy!
- Blueberries– Leave a little bowl on the table, they won’t last long.
- Salad Mix from Johnny Putt Farms– This lovely mix of tender lettuces and edible flowers has become my go-to lunchtime salad.
- Broccoli– These like to be stored in the fridge! If you don’t plan to eat right away, a quick blanch before freezing will preserve them nicely for later use.
- Eggs– I’m still steaming most of these and slicing them on lunchtime salads throughout the week.
What are you cooking up in your kitchen? Do you have any great ideas that you’d like to share here? If so, I’d love to hear them! Have any veggies piling up that need a good ripcord recipe? Just drop me a line, I’m here to help, it’s what I do!