Fellow Springdellian Dawn DeMeo was kind enough to share this one, they look scrumptious!
Source: Loosely based on a recipe from geniuskitchen.com
Notes: Feel free to change up the spices as you see fit. This will result in a delightfully crunchy coating that will work many other fried veggies…or even fried pickles!
- 10 ounces fresh white mushrooms, wiped clean
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 10 ounces light beer (I used Pabst) or water
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
Ranch dressing with some Bone Sucking Sauce mixed in
- Heat oil in deep fryer or Dutch oven to 350ºF.
- Meanwhile, mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and spices in a bowl. Add beer or water to make a batter.
- Using a toothpick, dip clean mushroom into batter letting excess batter drip off.
- Roll in panko breadcrumbs to coat.
- Deep fry in oil until golden.
- Transfer to plate lined with paper towel and let cool 5 minutes before serving.