Hello everyone, Jess here. If I’m fortunate enough to have carrots and cabbage at the same time, I might make an adaptation of “Eggroll in a Bowl”. There was a great version from Diana Rodbourn that I love to work from as a base (thanks to Fellow Springdellian Andrea P. for turning me onto this one, and to Fellow Springdellian Marian H. reminding me to post about it!) There are also lovely adaptations, such as Gina Homolka’s version from the 2016 cookbook Skinnytaste Fast and Slow: Knockout Quick-Fix and Slow Cooker Recipes that adds the sweet savory addition of mirin and the umami of shiitake mushrooms. It’s fast, the ingredients are totally flexible, and it’s full of flavor, making it a great quick meal option. It’s also pretty healthy!
First brown the meat of your choice. Hot Italian sausage is a zesty choice!Once your meat is browned, you can add your shredded cabbage.Your shredded carrots can be added along with the cabbage, or separately if you like one veggie to be crunchier than the other. Napa, green or purple cabbage work in this recipe!
Whichever option you choose, you won’t be disappointed by the marriage of cabbage, carrot and ground meat. Adding onion (between the meat and the cabbage), green onion or other inspired can be added.
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (or oil of your choice if you don’t have sesame, but the sesame really makes the dish!)
- 1 lb. ground pork, beef, chicken, turkey… (hot Italian sausage also works, seitan or tofu)
- 1 head of thinly sliced cabbage (about 6 cups)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium onion, slivered
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 generous teaspoons freshly grated ginger, or 1 teaspoon ground ginger/ginger powder
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, Tamari (for gluten-free option) Bragg’s Amino (for vegan), coconut aminos (for Keto option)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional: Chicken or veggie broth as needed (if working with a drier protein such as turkey or tofu)
- Optional: 2-3 green onion stalks, thinly diagonally sliced for garnish
- Optional: ¼ tsp red pepper flakes adds a nice kick, or try 1/2 tsp Sambal Oelek or Sriracha to taste
- Optional- 2 cups thinly sliced baby bok choy
- Optional- 2 1/2 ounces of stemmed and sliced shiitake mushrooms (or mushrooms of your choice)
- Optional- 1 1/2 teaspoons mirin or dry sherry
- Brown your protein in a large skillet until fully cooked, adding broth only if needed (see above note with broth)
- While you’re browning your meat, mix your garlic, ginger (spicy additions and mirin/sherry if using) and soy in a small bowl and set it aside.
- Bring the heat to medium high and add your slivered onion and sesame oil, cooking the onions for a few minutes before adding sauce and the shredded cabbage (bok choy if using) and sauce.
- Stir and allow the cabbage to tenderize, about 6-7 minutes
- Add shredded carrots (and mushrooms if using) and cook for another few minutes.
- Turn off heat, garnish and season to taste, and serve immediately