Here it’s accompanied by some shiitake mushrooms from my friend Farmer Elizabeth from Fat Moon, whom if you haven’t heard has embarked on a mushroom growing venture at present. As you can see, I removed the shiitake stems, setting aside in the freezer for my next batch of veggie broth. The kale stems are back in the fridge awaiting smoothies.
I was planning to make a mushroom kale lasagna tonight, but something caught my eye when researching – the lasagna roll up! I wish I could say this was an original idea, but Google “kale and mushroom lasagna roll ups” and you’ll see that there are many who have gone before me on this one. I’d say that’s a good sign!
I didn’t really follow any recipe tonight, as I was running late getting dinner on the table, feeling inspired and starting with some great ingredients (which always allows me some extra flexibility). Here’s what I did and here’s what happened:
Kale and Mushroom Lasagna Roll -Ups
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves finely chopped
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups tomato sauce or diced tomatoes (I used yellow heirloom tomato sauce made from the summer CSA, hence you’ll notice it’s a bit orange looking in the pictures)
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- olive oil (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
Preheat the oven to 350.
I hope you enjoy this one as much as we did!