Happy Sunday Dinner, everyone! Jess here to report on this week’s dinner, which actually took place on Labor Day. Better late than never I always say!
As the Andersons were away on a camping trip until just 90 minutes before dinner, I took a quick trip to the farmstand to grab some hearty sirloin patties and the CSA crate full of veggies. The sirloin patties are always a great choice when I’m not sure what to serve for dinner, as they need not be thawed before grilling to perfection. I was happy to see the apples in the share, and went with an adaptation of Cat Cora’s Fuji Apple, Walnut and Dill Salad. Below are the initial and adaptation ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (I used unfiltered apple cider vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons almond oil or 2 tablespoons walnut oil or 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (I used avocado oil)
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt (I used greek yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (I used 2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest (I omitted)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice or 2 teaspoons orange juice (I went with lemon juice)
- 1⁄4teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 cups chopped fuji apples (I used a combination of Blondee and McIntosh apples)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (mine had been drying for about a week, but still worked for the purposes of this recipe)
- 1⁄4cup thinly sliced celery heart (I omitted)
- 1⁄2cup seedless grapes, halved (I used raisins)
- 3 Belgian endive, leaves for garnish (I used lettuce)
Whisk together your dressing ingredients. In a large bowl, gently toss your salad ingredients until combined. Pour your dressing over the salad and toss until coated to your liking. Refrigerate or serve immediately.
The lettuce from the CSA made a lovely plate for the salad. Several of us picked up the lettuce leaf and treated it like a lettuce wrap. The sirloin patties were enjoyed topped with beefsteak tomato, lettuce and refrigerator pickles. I slapped a corn on the cob in the middle and we had ourselves a great meal!