I am thinking about cooking my Springdell bacon for breakfast tomorrow. Thinking ahead will give me time to spice rub my bacon, yum! We have established a tradition of at least one big breakfast a weekend since our boys were born. I think it’s so important to have meals with the whole family gathered around the table, just like we did when I was a kid. My parents always made that a priority and I am carrying that on with my kids too. So, give this one a try. We like it here at my house, hope you will too.
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 Tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 Tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound of bacon, think sliced if possible
- Combine all of the ingredients together in a bowl (except the bacon) mix them up well.
- Spread out a piece of parchment paper and spread out the bacon slices.
- Using your hands give the bacon a rub with the mixture, coating the entire surface
- Flip the bacon over and coat the other side as well
- Stack the bacon back up into two stacks
- Wrap them well and put them in the fridge for 12-24 hours
- The next morning preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line baking sheets with foil
- Spread out the bacon slices in a single layer and bake for 10-12 minutes
- Be careful, the sugars in the bacon can burn if you don't keep an eye on them, I start checking them at 8 minutes or so. Flipping them a few times helps them to evenly brown, not burn.
I then wrap it and it sits overnight in the fridge, just waiting to be cooked and, devoured in the morning. I think we will serve ours with fluffy pancakes and sliced apples. Of course Ben’s maple syrup will be coming to the party too.