Hello everyone, Jess here to chat about the second pickup of the Springdell Summer CSA. Monday was a beautiful day to stop by the farm, a slightly cooler day (albeit still in the 80s at times). Like other local farms, the Springdell Farm Crew is working tirelessly to keep the fields watered. As the level drops in the irrigation pond, both crew and customers alike are attempting to summon rain by just about every method possible. Here’s hoping for some rain for all the fields soon! Meanwhile at the farmstand, delicious items are coming in without missing a step! Let’s take a look at this week’s CSA box over at Springdell.
- Garlic Scapes – A gem that makes you say “Hooray for CSA!” If you haven’t tasted these fabulous finds, you’re in for a treat. With a name like garlic scapes, one might think they’d have a strong garlicky flavor, when in actuality they are mild, sweet and tender right to the base of the bulby part. Chop them into a stir fry or try a delicious pesto! Save the tougher bulby part for a stock or aromatics (ours will be grilled in foil with Jordan Brother’s fish)
- Broccoli– Ours is gone with the wind, already soaked, roasted and stirred into a Meatless Monday Orange Tofu. The stems are to be grated for a ‘lil brocco slaw.
- Radishes– A friend of mine was wondering about grilling radishes, which I’ll now be making this week, you know, for science.
- Rainbow Chard– The Chard “bundles” were pretty fabulous, see below for details!
- Tuscan Kale – My personal favorite variety, I’ll be grilling it up this week.
- Rhubarb– Sour Cream Rhubarb Cookies were good this past week, but I may have to try a Rhubarb Almond combo of some sort, I’ve been inspired by by Fellow Springdellian Nicole R’s Rhubarb Almond Cake. Rhubarb Simple Syrup is also always a must.
- Lettuces– The big leaves are always great for Deconstructed Lettuce Wraps.
- Zucchini Squash– Ooh Zukes how I missed you! We’ll see what the week brings for these yummies. I may have to start with some sort of zucchini fries for the kids.
Small shares receive broccoli, garlic scapes, rhubarb, tuscan kale, radishes and lettuce. Single shares receive broccoli, scapes, kale, radish, and lettuce as well. Super Shares receive the full share items plus Cozy Tea Cart Berry Teas. Quantities vary by share, with the larger shares receiving the larger quantities accordingly. Please note that items may vary slightly throughout the week depending on daily yield, but share value will remain consistent.
- Johnny Putt Greens (Littleton, MA)- Not your typical spring mix, there are so many yummy varieties in this delicious bag of tricks!
- Baby Spinach – Sometimes it seems like a lot of greens, but it always amazes me how little is left once you wilt it down.
- Strawberries– As a CSA member, I have loved going to the PYO strawberry field for our complimentary quart of strawberries. Even picked up some jam berries, so it’ll be a busy week!
- Eggs– I’ll be steaming most of these, my littlest is having an issue with some meats at the moment, so having these little protein boosts on-hand will help.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this week’s edition of the Springdell Show and Tell! As always, I look forward to hearing about your culinary journeys as well. Enjoy the week!