This is Farmer Jamie’s suggestion, from Farmer John’s cookbook. It’s a tasty departure from the cool cucumber, as this one spends time in the oven. Delicious when the basil and cukes are both popping in the fields.
Baked Cucumbers in Basil Cream
1.5 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
1 teaspoon Maine Sea Salt
1/4 teaspoon Sugar
4 Slicing Cucumbers, peeled, halved length-wise, seeds removed, cut into 1 inch slices
2 tablespoons Butter, melted (unsalted is best)
4 chive stems, chopped (find these in the PYO garden, growing in the field against the raised bed…not to be confused with grass)
1 cup Tully Farm Heavy Cream
3 tablespoons Basil Leaves, chopped (in the PYO field)
Freshly ground pepper
- Preaheat Oven to 375 degrees
- Mix the vinegar, salt, and sugar in a medium glass bowl. Add the cucumber slices and toss to combine. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Drain the cucumber slices in a colander, then pat them dry with a clean dish towel.
- Put the cucumber slices in a shallow bake dish. Pour the melted butter over them and add the chives; toss and combine. Bake the cucumbers, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the cream in small pot until it comes to a light boil. Continue to cook the cream, sitrring frequently, until it is reduced to a 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes. Stir the baswil and turn off the heat; let the mixture steep for 2 minutes.
- Pour the basil cream sauce over the cooked cucumber slices. Season with slat and pepper to taste.
~Farmer John’s Cookbook