Hi everyone, Jess here. It is an exciting time around Springdell Farm, the strawberries are reddening on schedule, and we are actively crossing the bridge from the Spring to the Summer CSA! New Summer CSA members are having a mandatory orientation this week, (returning members that need a little refresher are welcome to attend) and the summer CSA will start next week! If you’re part of the Springdell Summer CSA, please be sure to check your emails which contain this week’s orientation info, first pickup date & time, and your share number. If you’re not part of the CSA, no problem! The same delicious produce you’ll see here will be available at the farm stand. Meanwhile, let’s sneak a peek at the final Jumpstart CSA pickup of the Spring Season.
- Strawberries – What a wonderful surprise to get these beauties in the spring share! The first quart of the season never lasts more than 5 minutes after I snap the photo. Save your strawberry caps and pop them in some water to add a flavorful infusion! Click for more ideas!
- Baby Kale – The kids are munching this as I type. The rest will be baked into Kale Chips. Strawberry Vinaigrette goes great with kale, if you can keep from devouring enough strawberries to make it (I usually save some jam berries for this)!
- Salad Greens– From Johnny Putt Farm. Keep in a damp bag in the fridge until ready for use. If your strawberries aren’t eaten already, try a strawberry salad!
- Lettuce– The big leaves make for great Lettuce Wraps, whatever your filling is. Who needs forks when you have a delicious food transport system that is the lettuce leaf?
- Chives – Snip a clean cut and pop in a glass of water, and snip to sprinkle on eggs, pasta, potatoes… I plan to make Chive Butter this week, it’s so good! Chive Pancakes will also be on the menu, simple, delicious, and no need to hit the grocery store!)
It’s been a wonderful Spring Season, eternal thanks to our farmers for keeping us well fed throughout the seasons! Here’s looking forward to the Summer Season, I’ll see you back here next week for the first Summer CSA Pickup of the season! (Hooray!!! Please pardon all the exclamation points in this post, I just get a little excited…)